Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Half and Cycling

So, I'm about 80% sure that I am going to run a half-marathon in late April.  I've been thinking about it for a while and I think this would be a good time to do it for a couple of reasons:
1. I have a super flexible schedule right now.  I don't know when I will have a schedule like this again, so it makes sense to train now when I have the ability to set aside large chunks of time to run.
2. It will give me something to focus on.  Between looking for jobs in the Spring, worrying about graduation, and other things that we are going through right now... running and training will be a good escape. 

The reason why I am not a 100% sure right now is the weather.  If we have a winter like we did last year, I won't be able to train and run a half by April.  I have access to a treadmill, but I can not run for very long on it without getting bored out of my mind.  I need the weather to be decent enough for me to run my long runs outside at least.  Since we live in the South they don't have half-marathons after the end of April because it gets hot.  (Half-Marathon racing time is Feb-April and then Oct-Nov)  So far the Fall has been wonderful for running.  Let's hope the winter continues on the same path!

I have semi-developed my running plan.  It's longer than a lot of half-marathon plans because I want to be ready to run the half and not just hoping that I make it.  I also have to add in a couple of weeks of tapering (which you don't have to do with 10k's or 5k's). 

There are two half marathons on April 30th.  One is in Louisville and the other is in Nashville.  I would love to run the Nashville one, but it's expensive ($90)!  There is a half marathon in Knoxville April 3rd, but I heard that it is hilly and sucks a lot!  I'm hoping that some other options pop up between now and then so that I have some better options. 

So that's what I am thinking for my running plans for the next few months.  I won't be officially "training" yet, but I am going to begin to up my longer runs a bit gradually and see how it goes. 

One possible winter weather solution I have come up with is taking a fitness class at the University one day a week.  Tonight I am going to try to check one out.  My Thursday night class is canceled, so I am going to go and check out the cycling (spinning) class.  I'll let you know how it goes!

3 comments:

  1. Yay!! Good for you and that's awesome that you even have a plan!! You can so do this! Good luck=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo Hoo !! Go for it !!

    Email me your plan, I would love to see it !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mysti, it's hand written right now... but when I type it up I will send it to you.

    ReplyDelete